Wednesday, September 24, 2014

KBShimmer : Fall 2014 : Rust No One, Flannel Surfing, & How Do You Dune?

Happy Fall Equinox / first (official) day of autumn, Twinklings!!!  I hope it was as beautiful for you as it was here.  For me, autumn is the season most saturated with sensations, wonders, and delights.  There is nothing like crisp mountain air, color-soaked leaves, and pumpkin-spiced scents to make you feel alive.  I can't think of a better way to celebrate than with some of KBShimmer's utterly beautiful and unique new nail polishes for fall!

KBShimmer Fall 2014
...



Rust No One


"Rust No One" is a stunningly holographic fiery coral-toned orange, with a flash of brilliantly burnished copper shimmer in the center of the holo flame (which I looovvvve, because does the vacant, lifeless center of a normal holo bother anyone else?  No?).  Most of the reviews I've read have described this as a pumpkin or burnt orange, which made me a little nervous when I bought it (burnt orange isn't so much my thing), but I'm so glad I went with my instincts because it really has no burnt tones whatsoever.  The most powerful imagery I get from "Rust No One" is that of fire opals and mythical gems.  Deep coral pink undertones make this a very pretty, surprisingly flattering, and a quite gentle color to wear, much more so than the rusted vermillion that I was afraid of.  I'm really not a red-orange girl at all, but I truly completely love this polish and I think it's because of the complex pink tint and the jelly base, which has a bright glowing translucence that could never be mistaken for grunge.  A hint of soft rustiness is drawn out in low lights, along with a blushing pretty peach tones as you can see in the electric light photo below.  Pictures really do no justice to the gemstone-like quality of the holo shimmer and jelly, merged with a molten metallic shimmer to evoke precious jewels and metals forged in fire at the center of the earth.

KBShimmer "Rust No One"


While the base does have a translucent glow, "Rust No One" simultaneously manages to have fantastic coverage.  Application is so smooth and even and just beautiful.  I used two coats in my photos.  I really cannot tell you how happy I am that I went for this nail polish, though categorically it should not have appealed to me.  It's really so stunning in all lighting.  I think KBShimmer did a brilliant job making a rich autumnal hue more flattering and wearable.  And who doesn't love a fabulous, strong holo polish??!



KBShimmer "Rust No One" - electric lighting
KBShimmer "Rust No One"
...

How Do You Dune?


"How Do You Dune?" is a soft putty gray crème.  I find the warm dove undertones to be less harsh against skin than a cool concrete gray.  It's a wonderful fall basic that makes for a nice neutral canvas, and I think I'll be using this a lot for layering and nail art.  "How Do You Dune?" is my first KBShimmer crème polish, and I was delighted to find that the formula DEFINITELY lives up to the hype.  It's a miracle one-coater, which for such a light color is, well, a miracle.  I used to think that some colors would never be opaque in less than three coats, but it really is about quality and pigmentation, and when someone gets it right it's just divine.  KBShimmer got it right.  The trade-off is that the formula is quite thick, which I personally love, but I did have quite the struggle trying to get this one to play nice with nail vinyls due to the thickness.  It doesn't have a slow dry time, per se, but you'll want to be more careful than I was and give it a little time to do its thing.  Don't forget your quick dry top coat (maybe KBShimmer's Clearly On Top?  I've heard great things and have been wanting to try it; thoughts?).

KBShimmer "How Do You Dune?"


KBShimmer "How Do You Dune?"
...

Flannel Surfing


"Flannel Surfing" is a gorgeous, cozy Nantucket blue crelly with autumnal orange, cool silver, and oceanside aqua glitters sprinkled throughout like falling leaves.  This is the absolute darling of the collection, so unexpected and yet so exactly descriptive of a perfect fall day full of filtered sunshine, crisp cider, and walks in painted woodlands.  It's what I imagine seaside Maine (Storybrooke!!) would feel like in autumn.  I think the colors are simply brilliant, as is the name :)  "Flannel Surfing" also has an incredible formula; this is two simple coats that apply even and smooth as a fall breeze.  Doesn't it just make you want to cuddle??!! 

KBShimmer "Flannel Surfing"




KBShimmer "Flannel Surfing"
...

Between the soft clapboard gray of "How Do You Dune?" and the dusty seaspray blue of "Flannel Surfing", this collection felt reminiscent to me of the Oregon coast near Eugene, where I go to school.  There are these large sand dunes in Florence, and the wind is always cold and vitalizing off of the Pacific.  I wanted to do some nail art that felt like an autumn stroll on the beach, with a cozy scarf warming your cheeks and the frigid surf kissing your toes as it swells across the sand.  


KBShimmer "How Do You Dune?", "Flannel Surfing", & "Rust No One"





KBShimmer "How Do You Dune?", "Flannel Surfing", & "Rust No One"

 ...

I used KBShimmer's Scalloped Lines Nail Vinyl Decals and a dotting tool for the feminine scarf-like orange edge.  It was my first experience with vinyls, and I eventually got the hang of it but not without a lot of repainting, many lines of vinyls, and some occasional screechy huffings of frustration.  Through my many trials and excessive amounts of errors, I came up with a long list of to-dos and not-to-dos: wait until the base polish is absolutely completely positively dry, but do not use quick-dry nail drops (they create an oily film the decal cannot adhere to).  If every curve of a vinyl is not completely sticking to the nail just use a new one because otherwise your line will definitely be messy and you will be sad; I had better luck sticking a vinyl just once to my skin before using on the nail, rather than twice as per directions.  Trying to use one vinyl for two nails won't work unless you cut them down to proper size in advance; the other half of the vinyl will not be sticky enough for the second nail.  Using "Rust No One", I had the cleanest results when I peeled the vinyl off in only enough time for me to screw the cap back on the bottle, rather than waiting 20-30 seconds.  Make sure the top coat you use over your design does not "melt" the polish below it like Seche Vite, which is amazing for smoothing crèmes but is catastrophic over fresh nail art.  Use a polish that is opaque and smooth in one coat, but not too thick or tacky (this is where I had trouble when I tried to use "How Do You Dune?" for the scallop; I think some thinner might help with that).  Finally, vinyls do not respond to shrieking or wallowing, or pleading, or anything really.  They are insensitive.  They are a law unto themselves.  You cannot cut corners or be frugal or try to rush them.  They don't care.  Oh, and they're also inanimate... which explains some things.

KBShimmer Scalloped Lines Nail Vinyl Decals
...

KBShimmer was including free little gifts with orders in celebration of the Fall 2014 Collection launch (for as long as supplies last); I got a sliver of Lavender Soap and a cute little emery board with the KBShimmer logo!  I was so hoping to get a little gift, so I was very pleased that I hadn't missed out (I ordered on Wednesday, though the launch was Monday September 15.)  I normally love lavender, but this has something (patchouli, maybe?) that gives it a strongly masculine, woodsy scent like men's cologne.  Honestly, I hardly smell the lavender... so this one's not my favorite.  I'll be tucking this into my boyfriend's gym bag; he actually uses bar soap (I don't so much), and it will smell fantastic on him.

KBShimmer can be purchased at KBShimmer.com, at their Etsy shop, and internationally at Harlow & Co.  KBShimmer has, I think, the best retail prices among indies: $7.50 for a crème polish, and $8.75 for everything else.  I love coupons and sales and things, but even I feel okay about buying KBShimmer stuff without one (they don't come around too often so I wouldn't hold your breath) because their everyday prices are lower than other indies' sale prices, and the quality is just outstanding.  I highly recommend all three of these polishes, though if you were to be good and only get one I would make it "Flannel Surfing".  However, this is Halloween time, so why not be a little naughty and treat yourself? ;)

What's your favorite color for autumn??

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! I love the humor in your writing, the circumspect inclusion of little details (these things matter!) and the graceful way you incorporate them into your text. Really, really enjoyable! Your photos are great, too, and your "autumn stroll on the beach" manicure is wonderful. I would never have guess that this was your first time using nail vinyls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Liz, thank you ever so much!! You've made my week!!! I'm obsessed with the tiniest details of things, and I'm so happy to know someone feels the same! Tiny Twinklings is just a little baby blog (not even two months old!), and I mostly feel like I'm talking to myself so it is very rewarding to know that others are getting something out of my rambles :) Maybe I should have taken pictures of my many, many attempts before I finally got the vinyls to behave haha! Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts and reflections; my readers truly inspire and motivate me! XOXO <3

      Delete