Sunday, November 23, 2014

Serum No. 5 - fall polish swatches [Twilight Sparks, Sleepy Holo, Second Spring]

"Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower." - Albert Camus 

Happy Sunday, Twinklings!!  I've had these swatches sitting around for aaa-ages, and it suddenly occurred to me that I could maybe, I dunno, do something with them :)

Serum No. 5:  a few spontaneous polishes from various fall collections


Twilight Sparks

...is a fantastical forest green texture polish with a glowing, almost golden, peridot green shimmer and twilight teal duochrome edges.  I didn't realize that this was a texture when I bought it, so I was a little confused at first when it turned out all bumpy-like.  I think it's okay that way, sort of mossy-looking, but it's so hauntingly beautiful when it's glossy that there's just no competition in my mind.  "Twilight Sparks" is so lovely and ephemeral, like the green light that falls in gauzy curtains through the lichen-laden, fern-festooned Oregon forests.  It is so unique and gorgeous that I wasn't too upset about having to paint on four coats for full opacity and effect.

UPDATE:  I totally forgot to mention: this polish GLOWS IN THE DARK!!  How could I forget that glow??!  Ugh, that's what I get for writing posts after midnight, when I'm a little loopy in the brain :P  According to the lovely ladies at Serum No. 5, that is what accounts for the texture, and necessitates some sheerness!  They also recommended layering over black, if four coats aren't your thing :)  xoxo

Serum No. 5 "Twilight Sparks" - topcoat

Serum No. 5 "Twilight Sparks" - no topcoat

Serum No. 5 "Twilight Sparks" - no topcoat

Serum No. 5 "Twilight Sparks" - topcoat

Serum No. 5 "Twilight Sparks" - no topcoat

Serum No. 5 "Twilight Sparks" - topcoat

Serum No. 5 "Twilight Sparks" - topcoat


Sleepy Holo

...is a charcoal gray holographic polish with tiny black speckles and a moonlight silver shimmer sheen.  Such an elegant shade; it has this graphite-like silvery quality that took my breath away when I painted it on.  This is so much more beautiful on the nail that I would have imagined.  Like a mist-shrouded hollow ringed by spectral trees, their leafless limbs stark against a star-studded sky, "Sleepy Holo" has a mysterious, eerie quality and a thrilling allure.  This was so long ago- just before Halloween, fittingly enough- that I'm not exactly sure how many coats this is... I want to say two?  At most, three.  It was also more holo than my pictures could capture, but Oregon was clouded over that week so no sunny shots for me :/


Serum No. 5 "Sleepy Holo"

Serum No. 5 "Sleepy Holo"



Second Spring

...is a buttery sweet cream crelly blooming with coral, lime, berry, lemon, and turquoise glitters, and tiny golden shimmers.  This was actually released with last year's fall collection, but I don't care; it suited the occasion!  See, Oregon has the most baffling autumn season, which I never noticed before I took a landscape architecture class that required me to sit still and observe the landscape over time.  At first, I thought I was seeing things, or reconstructing memories, when I noticed that the dry, yellowed field of September was rapidly sprouting up new green shoots, until November saw the entire meadow flushed with lush green grass, as though it were late spring instead of late autumn.  And so the Camus quote took on a whole new meaning, because in Oregon fall really is like a second spring, when a second growing cycle begins as the autumn rains return after the summer drought.  The composition of "Second Spring" is indeed what you might think of more as a spring palette, but there is just enough vibrancy to the glitters and antiquing to the base that the personality begins to fuzz into autumn-time anyway... just like the grass.  This one really only needed two coats for opacity, but I preferred three for true depth and crelly brightness :)

Serum No. 5 "Second Spring"

Serum No. 5 "Second Spring"


Serum No. 5 Love Lacquers are available at Harlow & Co., Llarowe, and their own site.  They preview posted their upcoming holiday collection on their Facebook page today and I'm very excited, they look to be doing some seasonally unconventional glitter crelly colors and it's all very fun!!

What's your favorite unorthodox color for fall, the one that "shouldn't" work but totally does??

XOXO
Marisa + Sprinklepuff

No comments:

Post a Comment